The General Henry Knox Museum at Montpelier is dedicated to preserving the life and times of Henry Knox, a native of Massachusetts who was an officer in the Revolutionary War and a personal friend of George Washington.
After the war Knox and his family moved to Thomaston, where he had a mansion erected overlooking the Georges River. This house was demolished in 1871.
The mansion at Montpelier was reconstructed to historically accurate specifications in 1929 and was used to house the many objects of the original Knox family that had survived. Before its demolition there had been auctions in Thomaston giving away the estates many treasures. Upon the reconstruction of the mansion many townspeople re-gifted these belonging to what would become the new museum at Montpelier.
Selected Montpelier, the General Henry Knox Museum images:
- Farm House at Montpelier, ca. 1865
- Groundbreaking for the Knox Memorial, 1929
- Letter from Charles G. Dawes, Vice President, 1925
- Dedication of Montpelier, Thomaston, 1931
- Henry Knox wardrobe, Thomaston, ca. 1790
- Montpelier Home of General Henry Knox
- Unveiling of Knox Tablet, Thomaston, 1903
- Montpelier, Thomaston, 1870
- Montpelier, Knox home, ca. 1865
- Wallpaper border, Knox mansion, ca. 1795
- Knox Windsor chair, Thomaston, 1794
- Wallpaper Fragment, ca. 1795