In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Montpelier, The General Henry Knox Museum

Farm House at Montpelier, ca. 1865

Contributed by Montpelier, The General Henry Knox Museum
MMN Item 16516 Item Details
Farm House at Montpelier, ca. 1865
MMN Item 16516 Zoom

Description

This stereo view was taken by photographer E.C. Fernald, probably from the roof of Montpelier, General Henry Knox's mansion in Thomaston. The shadow of one of the mansion's chimneys is visible on the corner of the brick building.

This L-shaped brick building was known as the farm house, and probably housed many of the workers from Knox's estate. It was built about the same time as the mansion, about 1794.

This building is the only extant structure of the Knox estate, and today houses the Thomaston Historical Society.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.